Whether you were fired from your corporate job or the victim of the latest round of downsizing, you may suddenly find yourself working from home as a consultant or scrambling to figure out what to do with your life. You may love the new opportunity or it may scare you to death, but the bottom line is you have to thrive and you have to thrive quick.
How can you make some extra cash doing something you love? First off, you need to devote yourself to focusing on your next steps and avoid distractions. Get off the couch, stop feeling sorry for yourself, and make a plan. Yes, it will take a lot of hard work and dedication to get your business off the ground, but you can do it.
Browse thesetips on what you can do to start up a side business at home before you embark on the next career of your dreams.
Sell things online. If you have a killer idea for a product or service, capitalize on it. Whether you’re an expert at homemade crafts or you just have a lot of clothing and toys to get rid of, sell it all to make extra cash. There’s low overhead and start-up costs with sites like Etsy for handmade products or Threadflip for gently used clothing and accessories.
- Attach a Digital Reflection Panel to your browser. This company will pay you 200 bucks a year to get a bead on your online habits. If you have seven minutes to complete the panel and survey, you’re all set to participate.
- Become an UBER driver. You’ll need a four-door car that fits at least four passengers, you have to be over 21 and you have to have three years of driving experience. Fill out a profile, set up payment, and you’re ready to start giving rides for people in and around your community.
- Become a mystery shopper for pizza joints like Papa John’s and Pizza Hut. You could make $5 and get a free pizza out of it. All you have to do is time their delivery service and make note of the quality of the pizza.
- Join Upwork as a freelance programmer, designer, developer, writer, or editor. This online network of professionals is a place where you can get creative and make a little money for your talents. On this type of platform, writers and other freelancers are already vetted, so clients can hire with confidence. Be a blogger, content writer, editor or web designer and make some cash in your spare time.
- Create a YouTube Channel and monetize ads that run alongside videos. You need to know the right types of ads to run for each video, though, so learn more here.
- Join an affiliate program to enjoy a monthly residual income and blog about it. These two companies — http://www.cj.com/ & http://www.avangate.com/affiliates/ — each have 10,000+ programs for which you can resell. You’ll be able to drive more sales to your own website and establish your brand with available tools and support.
Are you making money yet? Invest in the stock market. A good financial planner or stock broker can help you navigate the world of investments, but do your research and make sure you settle on a reputable broker who has your best interests at heart. It’s always a good idea to keep a securities fraud investigator on hand just in case things don’t work out as you had hoped with your broker.